To encourage forestation and prevent wasteful approach of human beings, introduction of proper management methods is necessary. This would check block cutting, deforestation, pest and fire control. A recycling procedure ensuring continuous supply of forest products should be planned on long- term basis, so that the forest resources could last for a larger period. It is very important for our very, survival. For example, we need the modest- timber supply annually and this harvested crops should be replaced by an equal amount of timber crop growth. Timber trees grow mature in 15 to 100 years, so its recycling should be planned accordingly.
(1) Block cutting method is generally adopted in the forest which have even aged trees, of a few species only. Coniferous forests are cut in this way. Thus a particular area is denoted by cutting down its entire tree population. Such area may be in the centre of interior of the forest and the last forest area is replaced by reforestation of adjacent area of the same size. This would result in a sustained supply of forest products without adversely affecting the actual size of the forest. Thus the annual forest cutting is followed by annual replantation of the deforested areas. Deforestation should take place in a limited area only. Thus the forests would be conserved and its yield should be high. It would last for a very long period.
(2) By effective forest management, floods, soil erosion end expansion of desert can be checked. Floods in our country, to. a large extent is a result of indiscriminate and excessive deforestation every year. Moreover there are no effective measures to force replantation of trees in denuded area. Illegal falling of in nature trees add more problems. It is to be checked immediately.
(3) Forest and wild life conservation are intra-related as the forests serve as the best habitat for them The forests serve natural home for game animals. But due to deforestation and hunting, tiger and lions alongwith others, have undergone extinction.
(4) Parasitic fingi such as rusts, smuts and mildews, viruses and insects are some of the disease causing agents in the forest. Biological controls can be introduced. The insects bug feeds upon the weed Lantana and thus it can control its growth. Thus in such control, the biological agent is introduced to remove the undesirable species from an area. Some of the fungal viral resistant species of the forest trees have been produced and introduced in the forests.
(5) Timber is an important product of forest tress which is of high economical value. After removing the stem of timber trees, which are main source of timber, stumps, leaves, barks are left behind as waste.
A proper management of timber forests can only ensure this. This needs further plantation of forests in such a way that is double to deforestation, improved timber quality through genetic research, avoidance of useful cutting, control of forest, introduction of pests resistant varieties of trees and a planned, falling of trees.